My Blog has moved to Github Pages

Monday 4 October 2010

Best monospace font for programming?

Back in the day, when I ran Windoze XP on my development machines, I used to use the wonderful "Consolas" font developed by Microsoft.

Since switching to Ubuntu some, uhhh ... 3 years ago, I've been using the free Inconsolata font - and I agree with kvz, it is very nice.  One small problem with it for development is it isn't monospaced - though I don't notice it causing me any real problems.

Anyways, lately I've been playing with Liberation mono instead, which is monospaced, and so far i'm liking it a lot.  In IntelliJ/JetBrains Idea i'm running it at 17pt, which looks super-smooth and readable on my 17" 1080p laptop.

To install Liberation in ubuntu:

sudo apt-get install ttf-liberation

No comments:

Post a Comment